Be part of the event that was featured by Runners World as a race that gets you feeling the love! True loves, best buds and solo runners/walkers are all welcomed at this fun race and post-race brunch! All race profits go to charity! Last year over $6000 was donated - half to Ben's Bells Project and half to Southern Arizona Roadrunners' own programming such as the Children's Fitness Fund. Does your business want to be an event sponsor? Pop us a note!
Need to know info:
When: Sunday, February 9th, 2020. Gun goes off at 8:30am.
Where: Staging area at Main Gate Square outside of Gentle Ben's (865 E University Ave). Start line in front of UofA's Centennial Hall.
Race Options (Each lap includes one set of UofA stadium ramps!)
- - 4 mile Relay: 2-person relay where each person runs a 2-mile lap. Friends, sweethearts & family members can be a team! Relays must show some form of PDA (Public Display of Affection) at the PDA Exchange Zone and at the awards ceremony to be eligible for prizes!
- - 4 mile individual race: 2 laps of the course
- - 2 mile fitness walk/jog: 1 lap of the couse
- - Free FitKidz Mile at 8:00 am (Sorry, breakfast at Gentle Ben's is not included for FitKidz)
- -Free post-race hot breakfast at Gentle Ben's (sorry, breakfast is not included with free FitKidz entries)
- -Mimosa and bloody mary specials available for purchase at the awards party
- -First mimosa or bloody mary free to SAR members thanks to Exclusive Escapes
- -Festive PDA relay exchange zone sponsored by Agility Spine and Sports Physical Therapy
- -Costume & PDA contest
- -Course includes UofA stadium ramps
- -Optional super soft, quality race shirts
- -Group challenge to win a keg from Gentle Ben's Brewing Co
- -Benefits Ben's Bells Project!
Group challenge: Win a Keg! Get your running group, company, or group of friends to sign up and let us know what group you are with when you register (all race options count)! The group with the most participants wins a keg gift certificate from Gentle Ben's/Barrio Brewing Co.! ALL group members must be over 21 to win this prize and you must sign up BEFORE race day!
More Fun Contests:
- - Costume Contest - Best costume duos win date night prizes!
- - PDA Contest - Date night gift certificate for most creative PDA at the Agiility Spine and Sports PDA Exchange Zone!
Brunch & Mimosa Post-Race Awards Party at Gentle Ben's:
- - Free egg and potato with bacon breakfast for all participants during the awards party at Gentle Ben's!
- - Mimosa & bloody mary specials for purchase during the awards party! Don't forget your wallet & ID!
- - First mimosa to all Southern Arizona Roadrunners members that do the race is free. Learn how to become a member here!
- - Kind Valentine, Ben's Bells booth, sponsor booths & photo booth
Optional Pre-Order Race Shirts: Each size will only be available to order until it sells out. 2020 shirt design TBD. We will once again feature a talented local artist!
Packet Pick-Up & In-Person Registration Options:
1) At The Running Shop (3055 N Campbell) from 11-2 on Saturday, Feb 8th
2) Outside of Gentle Ben's from 7am-8am on Sunday, Feb 9th
Race Parking: Street parking, Tyndall Ave Garage and 2nd St Garage are all free on weekends!
Date and Time
Relay, 4-Mile and 2-Mile start at 8:30am on Sunday, February 9th.
Results will be gun timed (still using timing chips though). Please allow faster runners to line up towards the front to ensure a safe start!
4 Mile Relay: The 1st place overall team plus the top three in each category win a date night prize: Combined age under 60, Combined age 60-79, Combined age 80-99, Combined age 100-119, Combined age 120+. Remember - you don't need to be a romantic duo but you do have to show some form of PDA to claim a prize!
4 Mile Individual Race: Top finishers overall, first top masters and top three in 10-year age categories (19 and under up to 70+) will receive awards sponsored by The Running Shop and other fun prizes.
Costume contest: Top three costumes win a date night prizes!
PDA Contest: Top three Public Displays of Affection at the exchange zone win date night prizes.
Group challenge: Largest group wins a gift certificate for a keg from Gentle Ben's Brewing Co./Barrio Brewing! ALL group members must be over 21 to win this prize, sorry no exceptions. To count as a member of your group you must sign up BEFORE race day!
The original Fine Valentine Couple's Relay was the brainchild of former SAR Board members Mike Ochter and Jim Irish, who staged the race on the trails of The Club at La Mariposa from 1996-1998. Mike moved from Tucson and Jim had other commitments as SAR president, so in 1999, Randy Accetta took over the race director duties and moved the race to Children's Memorial Park on the Rillito River for a few years, then to the UA Main Gate Square, reprising the Ramp Run concept. In 2013 Dari Duval, Alyssa Hoyt, and Diane Manzini were passed the race directing role. Since then the post race awards burnch party at Gentle Ben's as well as awards for best PDA, costumes and Kind Cupid have been added to the event!
This year’s race will benefit Ben’s Bells Project. Their mission is to inspire, educate and motivate each other to realize the impact of intentional kindness and to empower individuals to act according to that awareness, thereby strengthening our selves, our relationships and our communities.
Thanks to Agility Spine & Sports Physical Therapy, He Said She Said Couples Counseling, Tucson Orthopeadic Institute, Let's Sweat, Exclusive Escapes, Vantage West Credit Union, The Running Shop, Coffee Times, Main Gate Square & Gentle Ben's Brewing.