TMC Meet Me Downtown 5k Night Run/WalkSaturday, May 31, 2014 / 5k Night Run/Walk
SAVE THE DATE: Thanks to all of you who filled out our survey—we heard you and we’ve moved the race to May 31st, 2014. A week earlier will no doubt bring snow!!!
We are excited to host the RRCA 2014 National 5k Championships. Sign up early for a cool $15—$15 price ends on February 1, 2014. After February 1st, the pricing is still merely $20, the best deal in the country for a high-end race.
We’re planning a lot of cool stuff on race night!
* Beer Garden We’re planning another beer garden, this time in Armory Park. Stay tuned for details.
* Team Discount Join with others from your work, gym, bootcamp, or church—just register in teams of 5 or more! All team members receive the discounted price of $20 per person
* Super-fast course along the wide Downtown boulevards with neighbor support, plus prize money for top finishers and age group awards in 5-year categories
* Free Children’s Mile starts at 6:30 PM—we want every child in Tucson to walk or run a mile with Mayor Rothschild. Everyone is free—so bring your family and do a mile with the kids!
* Cox Communications is providing jumping castles and TMC and the Children’s Museum are hosting play activities for the kids
* Local daredevils Cirque Roots will do a fire show after the race
* Tucson’s music queen, LeeAnne Savage and the Cosmic Cowboys, will rock the house
* Traditional Post-Race After-Party at Hotel Congress with 2-4-1 drinks and more
* Customized technical men’s and women’s t-shirts —NOTE: we will have at least 10 different sizing options, but we CANNOT guarantee that every runner will be able to get their exact desired size. Our advice is to take advantage of early packet pick-up to get the shirt size you want.
WANNA’ HOST A CHEER ZONE?
GABE ZIMMERMAN TRIPLE CROWN
First Leg of the 2014 Gabe Zimmerman Triple Crown
Meet Me Downtown is honored to once again be the first leg of the Gabe Zimmerman Triple Crown. Gabe lost his life in the January 2011 shooting here in Tucson, but his legacy lives on. From the Gabe Zimmerman Davison Canyon Trailhead to the Gabe Zimmerman Meeting Room at the U.S. Capital, Gabe’s presence will forever be a part of our community. The Triple Crown donates $10 from every entry to Gabe’s favorite non-profit, Child and Family Resources.
For those new to local running events, Meet Me Downtown is produced by the Southern Arizona Roadrunners—a member-driven non-profit devoted to promoting health and wellness through running and walking. If you are not a SAR member, please consider joining—you can save all sorts of money off race entry fees, receive discounts to many local merchants, and be part of a great community of people. See http://azroadrunners.org/go/category/membership/join for details.
This race is part of The Running Shop Grand Prix, produced by SAR.
There are a billion cool photos at the SAR facebook page—be sure to “like” SAR at www.facebook.com/Southern.Arizona.Roadrunners. Thanks to Kerry Whelan and all those who have posted photos—please feel free to upload your race night shots, too!
Date and Time
Saturday, May 31, 2014
6:30 pm Free FitKidz Children’s Mile
7:00 pm 5k run and walk
Race Distances and Courses
Click here to see the 3.1 mile course that will let you share the fun with walkers and runners of all abilities. The start/finish will be at 200 South SIxth Avenue, in front of the Children’s Museum. The course will wind through cool neighborhood boulevards and colorful streets.
Strollers are absolutely welcome— due to insurance regulations, no dogs, roller blades, bicycles, or other wheels. The course is wheelchair-friendly.
Downtown Tucson. Why Downtown? Downtown is the hub of our diverse region, and since we started the race in 2007, we’ve been committed to showcasing its beauty and highlights, from shopping, arts, housing, and dining. Interested in visiting Tucson? See what the New York Times says to do with “36 Hours in Tucson”. For more information about the race, check out the Arizona Illustrated news piece by Luis Carrion or the City of Tucson Channel 12 piece from 2008.
There is plenty of nearby parking. See the Downtown Tucson Partnership site for help on navigating the Downtown construction and finding a place to park.
First round of early registration discount ends on February 15th.
$15 All by 2/1/2014
$20 All by 4/1/14
$25 All by 5/15/14
$30 All after 5/15/14 and on event weekend
5k TEAM PRICING
$20 per person, 5 people per team, each person must submit a signed waiver, please mail together and include team name on all forms, or register online. Team registration ends on May 24.
ONE MILE PRICING
$0 FITKIDZ CHILDREN’S ONE MILE – timed and free for all children under 12
$10 for all others, includes official timing but no shirt
- Print Registration Form and mail it in. Registration by mail must be postmarked by Friday, May 16, 2014.
- Register online with a credit card at active.com.
- Details for 2014 to be announced
- Saturday, May 31, 2014 from 5:00 - 6:30 pm at The Children's Museum, 200 South Sixth Avenue
Save money, have fun, and make a team! This year, we’re doing a team challenge for companies, non-profits, and other organizations. Each person on a team can register for $20/person until May 24th, at which point everyone registering is $30. Team Challenge Awards: the team with the most participants will win a $150 dinner gift certificate to Maynard’s Kitchen and all teams will be entered into a raffle for an additional $150 dinner gift certificate to Hotel Congress.
Additional details announced soon . . .
Three host hotels, perfect for any budget and any vacation goal!
1) Convenient to I-10: The Hotel Tucson City Center is offering the rate of $59. Just mention that you’re with the Southern Arizona Roadrunners
Hotel Tucson City Center , an InnSuites Boutique Collection Hotel
475 N. Granada Ave. Call 520-622-3000 ext. 808
2) Want an upscale resort? Check out our friends at the JW Marriott Starr Pass for the special resort rate of $129 a night; the Marriott Starr Pass is a few miles from Downtown in the midst of the Tucson Mountains. Click here.
3) Want a romantic bed and breakfast steps from the starting line? Check out the Royal Elizabeth and tell ‘em you’re with the race. Click here.
$209. Plus tax for our three large suites with direct access to our pool and hot tub.
$199. Plus tax for our three smaller suites
Superior Special is a two night minimum stay for $189 for any of the six available suites.
Benefits of Staying At the Royal Elizabeth
· Located adjacent to the Starting Line
· Located in Downtown Tucson within a five minute walk to over a dozen highly recognized restaurants and bars
· A healthy two course gourmet breakfast each morning
Details for 2014 to be announced, but this is what we did in 2013:
All 5k registrants will receive a t-shirt and will be eligible for a variety of raffle prizes. To help promote excellence in running, the TMC Meet Me Downtown event will provide the following prize money: for the men we’re offering $100 to the first five men who break 15:15, with another $100 for first place and another $100 for breaking the course record of 14:30.4, which Ian Burrell has done twice in a row. For the women, we’re offering $100 to the first five women who break 18:00, with another $100 for first place and another $100 for breaking the course record off 17:23 by former UA Wildcat, Maggie Callahan.
First place overall and master’s will receive a gift certificate to the Running Shop, along with age groups as follows:15 and below, 16-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79, 80 and over. First place overall can double-dip in their age group.
GIFT CERTIFICATES TO THE RUNNING SHOP
Overall male, female $50
Master male, female $40
Age group first place $25 at 30 age groups
Age group second place $15
Age group third place: One item from a Running Shop grab bag
Children’s Museum, Tucson
Child and Family Resources
Tucson Museum of Art
Cinema La Placita
Greater Tucson Leadership
Educational Enrichment Foundation
Southern Arizona Roadrunners
Kids' and Post-Race Activities
Don’t forget to smile for the camera – the MMD official race photographer will snap you out on the course, then you can purchase your race photos at www.prphotoshots.com.
After the race, get your free photo taken by PhotoFunBooth – see www.photofunbooth.com.
All evening, children’s activities in front and inside of the Children’s Museum, courtesy of Tucson Medical Center and the Children’s Museum—plus games from The Tucson Racquet and Fitness Club and jumping castles courtesy of Cox Communications.
Snacks from Sprouts, drinks from Squirt and Activate. Participants and guests can also purchase food from the second-ever Running Race Food Truck Round-Up. After-party at Hotel Congress!
Visit with race beneficiaries and sponsors at the Race Expo on the grassy areas in front of the Children’s Museum.
Fire show by Cirque Roots.
8:30 and onwards: Official post-race party at Hotel Congress and Maynard’s Kitchen. Hotel Congress will host a live band on the patio, and provide 2-4-1 drinks plus special Meet Me Downtown appetizer discounts. Want something more upscale? Head over to Maynard’s Kitchen for a relaxing meal and drinks, with special food and drink discounts.
New sponsors! SAR is pleased to announce that the Tucson Racquet and Fitness Club has become a 2013 sponsor. The TRFC will provide children’s fitness activities on race night. Media partners the Arizona Daily Star, KHIT 107.5, and Cox Communications have signed on again, too! The Running Shop will once again host a Friday night wine & cheese—we’re still finalizing our 2013 special guest. Thanks to artist Pete Marenfeld and RetroTrek for allowing us to use the great retro logo again!
Sponsors: Please patronize our great sponsors!! They believe in a healthy Tucson and they believe in an exciting and active Downtown . . .
Tucson Medical Center
The Running Shop
Caliente and the Arizona Daily Star
The law firm of Snell and Wilmer
Tucson Racquet and Fitness Club
Chris Cox Chiropractor
Ideal Rehabilitation Physical Therapy
Sprouts Farmers Market
Squirt and Kalil Beverages
Downtown Tucson Partnership
Little Red Media
Run Tucson and Meet Me Concepts
Well, it’s early summer in Tucson - the weather will no doubt be hot. But check out Tucson’s current conditions and forecast for up-to-date information.
Results2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 |
- Contact the Southern Arizona Roadrunners Hotline at (520) 326-9383 for more information.