TMC Meet Me Downtown 5k Night Run/WalkSaturday, May 31, 2014 / 5k Night Run/Walk
On May 31st, we’re are excited to host the RRCA 2014 National 5k Championships. Low prices and team discounts make this the best deal in the country for a high-end race, with a ton of great fun planned: Beer Garden, Hotel Congress After-Party, Free Children’s Race, Free Children’s Museum, Free Massages, Team Pricing, Team Gift Certificates, $4,000 Prize Money, Discounted Hotels for weekend getaway, and more . . . click here for race details.
Click here for Press Release Announcing $4,100 in Prize Money Seeking the region’s fastest runners, the RRCA National Championship 5k has added $4,100 in potential prize money to be awarded to teams and individuals. With over 3,000 participants, the TMC Meet Me Downtown 5k Night Run is one the biggest community-based races in Arizona – and one of the fastest.
Photos: Our SAR website is not working very well, so click here for last year’s cool photos from Kerry Whelan. Check out the Arizona Daily Star story and photos from 2013.
* All ages and abilities welcome—walkers, runners, joggers, and everything in between. From young children to hip millennials to the rest of us, everyone is welcome!
* Low pricing, plus special Team Discount - join with others from your work, gym, bootcamp, or church—just register in teams of 5 or more! All team members receive the discounted price of $20 per person—register your team here
* The TMC Night Run is the RRCA National 5k Championships with prize money and awards
* Super-fast course along the wide Downtown boulevards with neighbor support, plus prize money for top finishers and age group awards in 5-year categories
* Local daredevils Cirque Roots will do a fire show after the race
Goodies and Festivities:
* Pre-race Wine and Cheese Packet Pick-Up—details to be announced soon!
* Customized technical men’s and women’s t-shirts—we cannot guarantee that every runner will be able to get their exact desired size. Our advice is to take advantage of early packet pick-up to get the shirt size you want
* Water Stations coordinated by event beneficiaries, Child and Family Resources; Greater Tucson Leadership; and Educational Enrichment Foundation
* Post-race festivities coordinated in part by event beneficiary, the Junior League of Tucson
* Tucson’s music queen, LeeAnne Savage and the Cosmic Cowboys, will rock the house while Cirque Roots will do a sizzling fire show
Whether you want a staycation or a weekend getaway, we’ve got you covered! Choose from low pricing at the Royal Elizabeth Bed & Breakfast steps from the finish line, the historic Arizona Inn, the Tucson City Inn, or the world-renowned JW Marriott Starr Pass desert resort
Fun for Adults:
* Beer Garden - We’re planning another beer garden hopefully with local breweries, so stay tuned for details.
* Traditional Post-Race After-Party at Hotel Congress with 2-4-1 drinks and more
* Discounts to Downtown-area bars and restaurants, including Aussie Cantina, Maynard’s Kitchen, the new Coronet Cafe, and more
* Free massages after the race, courtesy of the Cortiva Institute
Fun for Children and Families:
* Free Children’s Mile starts at 6:30 PM—we want every child in Tucson to walk or run a mile with Mayor Rothschild
* Event beneficiary The Children’s Museum is providing free admission Saturday night, and hosting play activities for the kids along with race sponsor Tucson Medical Center
* Cox Communications is providing jumping castles, face painting, and a clown
* Free family-friendly outdoor film by Cinema La Placita
WANNA’ HOST A CHEER ZONE?
GABE ZIMMERMAN TRIPLE CROWN
Meet Me Downtown is honored to once again be the first leg of the Gabe Zimmerman Triple Crown. Gabe lost his life in the January 2011 shooting here in Tucson, but his legacy lives on. From the Gabe Zimmerman Davison Canyon Trailhead to the Gabe Zimmerman Meeting Room at the U.S. Capital, Gabe’s presence will forever be a part of our community. The Triple Crown donates $10 from every entry to Gabe’s favorite non-profit, Child and Family Resources.
SOUTHERN ARIZONA ROADRUNNERS For those new to local running events, Meet Me Downtown is produced by the Southern Arizona Roadrunners, a member-driven non-profit devoted to promoting health and wellness through running and walking. If you are not a SAR member, please consider joining—you can save all sorts of money off race entry fees, receive discounts to many local merchants, and be part of a great community of people. See http://azroadrunners.org/go/category/membership/join for details.
This race is part of The Running Shop Grand Prix, produced by SAR.
Date and Time
Saturday, May 31, 2014
6:30 pm Free FitKidz Children’s Mile
7:00 pm 5k run and walk
Race Distances and Courses
Click here to see the 3.1 mile course that will let you share the fun with walkers and runners of all abilities. The start/finish will be at 200 South SIxth Avenue, in front of the Children’s Museum. The course will wind through cool neighborhood boulevards and colorful streets.
Strollers are absolutely welcome— due to insurance regulations, no dogs, roller blades, bicycles, or other wheels. The course is wheelchair-friendly.
Downtown Tucson. Why Downtown? Downtown is the hub of our diverse region, and since we started the race in 2007, we’ve been committed to showcasing its beauty and highlights, from shopping, arts, housing, and dining. Interested in visiting Tucson? See what the New York Times says to do with “36 Hours in Tucson”. For more information about the race, check out the Arizona Illustrated news piece by Luis Carrion or the City of Tucson Channel 12 piece from 2008.
There is plenty of nearby parking. See the Downtown Tucson Partnership site for help on navigating the Downtown construction and finding a place to park.
First round of early registration discount ends on February 15th.
$15 All by 2/1/2014
$20 All by 4/1/14
$25 All by 5/15/14
$30 All after 5/15/14 and on event weekend
5k TEAM PRICING
$20 per person, 5 people per team, each person must submit a signed waiver, please mail together and include team name on all forms, or register online. Team registration ends on May 24.
ONE MILE PRICING
$0 FITKIDZ CHILDREN’S ONE MILE – timed and free for all children under 12
$10 for all others, includes official timing but no shirt
- Print Registration Form and mail it in. Registration by mail must be postmarked by Friday, May 16, 2014.
- Register online with a credit card at active.com.
- Details for 2014 to be announced
- Saturday, May 31, 2014 from 5:00 - 6:30 pm at The Children's Museum, 200 South Sixth Avenue
Save money, have fun, and make a team! This year, we’re doing a team challenge for companies, non-profits, and other organizations. Each person on a team can register for $20/person until May 24th, at which point everyone registering is $30. Team Challenge Awards: the team with the most participants will win a $150 dinner gift certificate to Maynard’s Kitchen and all teams will be entered into a raffle for an additional $150 dinner gift certificate to Hotel Congress.
Four host hotels, perfect for any budget and any vacation goal!
1) Convenient to I-10: The Hotel Tucson City Center is offering the rate of $59. Just mention that you’re with the Southern Arizona Roadrunners
Hotel Tucson City Center , an InnSuites Boutique Collection Hotel
475 N. Granada Ave. Call 520-622-3000 ext. 808
2) Want an upscale resort? Check out our friends at the JW Marriott Starr Pass for the special resort rate of $129 a night; the Marriott Starr Pass is a few miles from Downtown in the midst of the Tucson Mountains. Click here.
3) Want a romantic bed and breakfast steps from the starting line? Check out the Royal Elizabeth and tell ‘em you’re with the race. Click here.
$209. Plus tax for our three large suites with direct access to our pool and hot tub.
$199. Plus tax for our three smaller suites
Superior Special is a two night minimum stay for $189 for any of the six available suites.
Benefits of Staying At the Royal Elizabeth
· Located adjacent to the Starting Line
· Located in Downtown Tucson within a five minute walk to over a dozen highly recognized restaurants and bars
· A healthy two course gourmet breakfast each morning
4) Want upscale, old-school? Check out the Arizona Inn, starting at $99 per night.
Click here for Endurance Sportswire Press Release for prize money. All 5k registrants will receive a t-shirt and will be eligible for a variety of raffle prizes.
- $300 apiece to the first three men who break 15:00 minutes for the 5k
- $300 apiece to the first three men who break 18:00 minutes for the 5k
- $300 to the man who breaks the current men’s course record of 14:30, set by 2:14 marathoner Ian Burrell in both 2012 and 2013.
- $300 to the woman who breaks the current women’s record of 17:23, set by Maggie Callahan, currently running with Brad Hudson’s Boulder, CO team.
- $100 to the 40-and-over man who breaks Shaun Haley’s master’s record of 15:57
- $100 to the 40-and-over woman who breaks Polly Campbell’s master’s record of 19:04.
- $500 to the fastest team of 5 men
- $500 to the fastest team of 5 women
- $250 to the fastest man who is a member of the Road Runners Club of America
- $250 to the fastest man who is a member of the Road Runners Club of America
Double-dipping is allowed, thus it is possible for the fastest woman and fastest man to earn $1,050 apiece if they set all records and are part of the fastest teams.
Age group winners will receive a gift certificate to the Running Shop: 15 and below, 16-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79, 80 and over. First place overall can double-dip in their age group.
PLANNED GIFT CERTIFICATES TO THE RUNNING SHOP
Age group first place $25 at 30 age groups
Age group second place $15
Age group third place: One item from a Running Shop grab bag
Children’s Museum, Tucson
Child and Family Resources
Tucson Museum of Art
Cinema La Placita
Greater Tucson Leadership
Educational Enrichment Foundation
Southern Arizona Roadrunners
Kids' and Post-Race Activities
Don’t forget to smile for the camera – the MMD official race photographer will snap you out on the course.
After the race, get your free photo taken by PhotoFunBooth – see www.photofunbooth.com.
All evening, children’s activities in front and inside of the Children’s Museum, courtesy of Tucson Medical Center and the Children’s Museum—plus games from The Tucson Racquet and Fitness Club and jumping castles courtesy of Cox Communications.
Snacks and drinks and beer garden—plus participants and guests can also purchase food from the third-ever Running Race Food Truck Round-Up.
Visit with race beneficiaries and sponsors at the Race Expo on the grassy areas in front of the Children’s Museum.
Rock out with LeeAnn Savage and the Cosmic Cowboys and check out the fire show by Cirque Roots
8:30 and onwards: Official post-race party at Hotel Congress and Maynard’s Kitchen. Hotel Congress will host a live band on the patio, and provide 2-4-1 drinks plus special Meet Me Downtown appetizer discounts. Want something more upscale? Head over to Maynard’s Kitchen for a relaxing meal and drinks, with special food and drink discounts.
Sponsors: Please patronize our great sponsors!! They believe in a healthy Tucson and they believe in an exciting and active Downtown . . .
Tucson Medical Center
The Running Shop
Caliente and the Arizona Daily Star
The law firm of Snell and Wilmer
Tucson Racquet and Fitness Club
Dan Kalm State Farm
Ideal Rehabilitation Physical Therapy
Eternal Spring Water
Downtown Tucson Partnership
Little Red Media
Run Tucson and Meet Me Concepts
Thanks to artist Pete Marenfeld and RetroTrek for allowing us to use the great retro logo again!
Well, it’s early summer in Tucson - the weather will no doubt be hot. But check out Tucson’s current conditions and forecast for up-to-date information.
Results2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 |
- Contact the Southern Arizona Roadrunners Hotline at (520) 326-9383 for more information.