When and Where
When - Sunday, October 9, 2011
Where - Downtown Tucson, 100 North Church Street, between Pennington and Alameda
Time - Half-Marathon run starts at 6:30 am 5k run/walk starts at 6:45 am
- Register Online Here - Half-Marathon $50 through October 1, then $60 through October 6, and $70 on race weekend. The 5k is $20 through October 1, then $25 for all.
- Print out a registration form and mail it in - mailing deadline is October 1.
- Register in person at The Running Shop on Saturday, October 8 from 10:00 am - 3:00 pm.
- Register in person at the race site on race morning, Sunday, October 9 from 5:00-6:00 am (5k registration continues to 6:15).
A Million Things to Know
- Click here for a detailed description of how to run the Half-Marathon course
- The YMCA will have a series of fitness areas at the start/finish line, including their renowned climbing wall for adults and children, as well as activity areas for children of all ages - including those of us who wish we were still children!
- After the race, enjoy Muscle Milk, ACTIVATE vitamin drinks, and plenty of snack food from TMC, Sunflower Market and local entrepreneur JulieBar.
- Grab a free massage from the student massage therapists at the Cortiva Institute.
- A great local band will be playing: Genevieve & the LP’s. You may have heard them rock out at the Meet Me Downtown race a couple of years ago or at other functions throughout town. They are fun!
- The Half-Marathon is part of the Desert Grand Prix presented by the Running Shop.
- Ham Radio Society of Tucson, a local all-volunteer group, will be out on the course keeping an eye on things.
- Technical Shirts: The shirt is a technical shirt produced by Runner’s Reward, in both men’s and women’s sizing. We will have new souvenir Run Tucson shirts for sale on race day.
- Parking: There is plenty of free street parking in Downtown Tucson on race morning, including free lots at the Ronstadt Bus Center and the Train Depot on Toole. Please do not bring pets to the event - and do not leave them in your car!!
- Timing: Please put your bib number on the front of your shirt using the pins provided at registration. Greg Wenneborg is our official timer, and he will time the race the traditional computer-based way. He is also beta-testing a new RFID system, so your bib may also have an RFID tag on the back of the bib. Please leave this on your bib. Please note that all the race materials have been prepared, so there is no longer any way to change your official distance.
- Looking for a place to spend Saturday night? We have two great hotels for you:
1) J.W. Marriott Starr Pass has set aside a block of rooms at the special group rate of $129 plus tax. This high-end resort is about a 10-minute drive from the starting line. Follow this link or call them at 1-800-266-9432.
2) Our friend Liza Lopez over at the Holiday Inn Express has put together a great room rate just for our runners of $84 per night king or double queen rooms. The hotel is located at Grant Road and I-10, a 3-minute drive to the starting line. Call 520-624-3200 and ask for the Get Moving Special.
Gabe Zimmerman Triple Crown
TMC Get Moving Tucson is the third event in the inaugural Gabe Zimmerman Triple Crown. There are 591 registrants for the Triple Crown, raising almost $6,000 for Child and Family Resources. By my records, 472 people have participated in both the TMC Meet Me Downtown Night Run and the TMC Saguaro National Park Labor Day Run—pretty awesome!
Thank you to all Triple Crown participants for honoring Gabe Zimmerman and helping to contribute to his favorite organization, Child and Family Resources.
Those who have not picked up their Run Tucson t-shirts can pick them up on Saturday, October 8th at The Running Shop from 10:00-3:00.
We expect to be able to give all Triple Crown finishers their completion award at the Get Moving Tucson race, after the regular awards ceremony. Details to be announced soon, so keep an eye out!
Course and Staging Information
The Half-Marathon Course: a detailed description of the half-marathon course can be found here. Please be prepared for the sun and the heat. There are no strollers or wheeled-vehicles allowed on the course. Please start the race in approximate order of your estimate minutes-per-mile, with the fastest runners at the front. Please do not wear headphones - if you do, please leave one ear free.
- NOTE: as you head up and down A-Mountain, please stay to the right - do not cut the tangents on the 2-way stretch of road as we don’t want runners heading toward one another. The same applies on the brief out-and-back on the Santa Cruz Bikepath - keep to the right. Also, the bike path has a short stretch of dirt as you run through the Cushing Street Bridge construction section.
- There is a Parks and Rec bathroom just past Mile 8 on the River Path, and there are port-o-johns at Mile 10.
- Half-Marathon Photo-Op: please note that we have a special event photographer, Daron Shade of http://www.DaronShade.com. He will be near the top of A-Mountain as you approach the “A.” Don’t forget to wave or smile! Then check out his website after the race and he will have your photo available for printing.
- There will be a Rural Metro and Southwest Ambulance at the finish line and the Santa Cruz River Path entrance point at approximately 6.5 miles into the race.
- There will also be a Tucson Medical Center medical tent at the 6.5 mile aid station and again at the start/finish area.
- Oasis/Culligan water will be located at approximately 3.5 and 4.5 on A-Mountain; then at approximately 7 miles; then at 10 miles; then again at approximately 11 and 12.5 miles.
- CarbBOOM energy gels and Cytomax drink will be given out at aid station 7 and 10 and 11 miles as well. And special thanks to Josh at WaterMart for for supplying the training run water and the ice on race day!
- Our friends at Velocis Electric Bicyles will be managing the lead bikes for both half-marathon and the 5k. (They are actually my former students at the UA’s Entrepreneurship Center, so be nice to them!) - Thanks to the awesome Sahuaro High School Cross Country team for handling the water stations at A-Mountain and the Santa Cruz River Path. Thanks to the Menlo Park Neighborhood Association and the Neighbors for Justice for helping with other water stops. Special thanks to the University of Arizona business fraternities Delta Sigma Pi and AK Psi, who will be out on the course in force to ensure that you go in the right directions and that you are safe.
- Finally, please note that the course will officially close at 10:00 am and all remaining participants will be asked to move to the sidewalks and obey pedestrian traffic laws.
The 5k Fun Run/Walk covers the same route as the past few years - along Congress, under Fourth Avenue, immediate right onto 9th Street, then left on Bean and left again on 8th Street before turning back to Fourth Avenue. PLEASE BE CAREFUL OF THE TROLLEY TRACKS.
NOTE: strollers are allowed on the 5k course only. Strollers and walkers—stay to the right on the route. About 45 minutes into the 5k the half-marathon lead runners will enter onto the 5k route—please give them the right-of-way as you finish the 5k. Culligan water will be located at the intersection of 8th Street and Fourth Avenue, approximately 1 and 2 miles into the race. Cytomax will also be given out at this aid station.
No bicycles, skateboards, roller skates, or pets allowed on the course.
Event Weekend Schedule
Saturday, October 8
10:00am - 3:00pm New runner registration and t-shirt/packet pick-up at The Running Shop (3055 North Campbell)
YES: you can register for both the half-marathon and the 5k walk/run
YES: you can pick up the number and shirt of someone else.
YES: you can pick up your Gabe Zimmerman Triple Crown shirt if you have not already done so.
YES: we will have some cool additional shirts to purchase
Sunday, October 9
5:15-6:00 am Race day registration and packet pick-up at race staging area in Jacome Plaza immediately west of Downtown library, 100 North Church Street
6:15 5k Half-marathoners like up at starting line on Church, facing NORTH. Please line up in leg speed order (5-minutes/mile at the front; 6-minutes/mile behind them, and so forth). A few words from Ross Zimmerman and the Zimmerman family, and Julia Strange from TMC, plus final race directions and the National Anthem
6:30 Half-Marathon start
6:35 5k Runners and walkers line up, facing SOUTH on Church
6:40 Final words on race course
6:45 5k Start
7:00 Genevieve and the LP’s band begins, YMCA activities begin and YMCA climbing wall opens
7:20 (approx) As 5k finishers end on the north-bound lane of Church, half-marathon runners come past the staging area heading south to Congress
8:15 (approx) Begin 5k awards ceremony
9:00 Children’s Dash, presented by Craig Dabler
9:30 (approx) Final runners in the half-marathon and begin half-marathon award ceremony
TUCSON MEDICAL CENTER A special thanks to Tucson Medical Center for all their support of the Southern Arizona Roadrunners and the local health and fitness community. This race could not have such low entry fees without the support of TMC.
We have two new Downtown area sponsors: Providence Service Corporation and Snell & Wilmer law firm. We are grateful for their generosity.
Thanks, too, to new sponsor AAA Arizona . AAA Arizona is sponsoring the three races of the Gabe Zimmerman Triple Crown.
1st male and female receive $150 cash
2nd overall $75
3rd overall $50
1st male and female master receive $50 cash
Age Groups in the Half are U-19, then 5-year increments to 80+. Details to be announced
1st age group $50 Running Shop gift certificate (top three taken out of age groups)
2nd age group $25 Running Shop gift certificate
3rd age group $15 Worldly Soles gift certificate
1st male and female receive $25
Age Groups in the 5k are U-15, then 5-year increments to 80+. Details to be announced